The following genealogy and history links are recommended by Pennsylvania Room staff and volunteers.
Centre County Sites
- Centre County GenWeb Project: The PA GenWeb site for Centre County. GenWeb is a national and internation genealogical project.
- Centre County Genealogical Society: The local genealogy society, who has assembled and published books of cemetery records for the entire county, hosts regular classes on genealogy topics, and publishes as quarterly newsletter, "Roots."
- Centre County Historical Society: Located in Centre Furnace Mansion just outside of downtown State College, the local historical society has a research library of Centre County history and Thompson family materials.
- Union Cemetery in Bellefonte: A searchable database of burials in Union Cemetery.
- The Political Graveyard: Burial locations for Centre County political figures.
- Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania: The state genealogical society. This organization is located in Philadelphia and is dedicated to supporting genealogy research in Pennsylvania and its surrounding states.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania: One of the oldest historical societies in the nation, and also home to one of the nation's largest genealogy libraries. Has a searchable online catalog for its reference collection.
- Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission: Home of the Pennsylvania State Archives. Where to go for military records, state birth records (1906-1908), and state death records (1906-1963).
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Pennsylvania Chapters: Contains information from researchers of Pennsylvania surnames.
- Ancestry.com: The Centre County Library & Historical Museum has a subscription to Ancestry, which can only be accessed from library buildings, either over our wireless network or on our public computer terminals.
- 1940 Census: The National Archives' official site for viewing the 1940 Federal Census---the most recent census year to become available to the public.
- Chronicling America, Pennsylvania Newspapers: The Library of Congress' digitization project for historic newspapers.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society: This group collects family history materials for the United States and Canada, with materials spanning from the original colonial settlements to the present day.
- National Genealogy Society: One of the two major national genealogy organizations.
- Cindy's List of Genealogical Sites on the Internet: A list of over 189,000 genealogy links, which have been categorized and cross-referenced.